Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Blog 9: Exercise and Diet Challenges

A major challenge that I face about regular exercise and a healthy diet is time. I am a full-time student, working, and trying to stay involved with school, as well as juggling the relationships in my life. So it is hard to find the energy and motivation to go the gym four times a week like I should. My days are usual very busy and even though I schedule in time to go to the gym on some days, it is hard to find that motivation to get up and go. When I have a big test coming up, exercise is usually the first thing that I erase or skip. I am a Nutrition major so I know all of the education about eating healthy but it is so hard to put that knowledge to use when I have a limited amount of time to prepare healthy meals. Even making healthy choices about food is hard when there are so many food choices out there that are not healthy. Discipline is going to be my biggest challenge over the next five years to keeping a healthy diet and exercise. I have to keep myself motivated to making better decisions about my health. And that is going to be hard!

4 comments:

Lisa A. said...

I said the very same thing. I hate to tell you but it does not get easier. I have a career; I attend school, I am married and raising a child ---and man does time fly. I could not agree more that discipline is the key in reaching goals. I think that if people really did recognize that working out does actually give you more energy and make you feel better as a whole than more people would do it and stick to it.

Jenn said...

It is really difficult to resist fast food for me. And I really agree that when there is a test, the exercise is the first to go. If I don't get some sort of exercise in first thing in the morning, then you can forget it. By night time, I am too tired from school, kids, dinner, extra activities, etc. Being a nutrition major, you know all the benefits to exercise. So do I. It still makes it tough. I feel for you. Hang in there.

Joyce Emengini said...

Anjelica,
Who says you have to go to the gym? Put on some running shoes, and head to the mall and power walk! Getting that heart rate up can be simple, and time is not a problem. What about lunch time, break time, or after work? And thinking about your health in five years should be motivation enough to get you active. Discipline is a biggy when considering maintaining a healthy routine. The health field of nutrition should be rewarding if one uses what has been learned.
Joyce

NutriMom--Health & Happiness said...

Continue to stay positive in your exercise regimen. You definitely have a plan set up, with exams it is hard to even think about going to exercise, but the fact that you seem to exercise in the morning should help a lot since that part of the day is usually not taken. We can all attest to lack of time and I am one of those who totally lacks to time to exercise, but come 5 years, may be you might incorporate something more permanent in your exercise program since school might be out of the picture by then. Keep trying I think you can do it.