Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Cancer: A Major Concern

I interviewed a few women and asked each women what was their major health concern. Cancer was one of the health issues that all of the women had in common, including myself. As an African American female, there are certain health issues that I am concerned about, such as breast cancer. Breast cancer strikes all women of all ages, ethnicities, and cultures. Every woman is at risk for this type of cancer. It kills thousands of women each year, and a cure is not available at the moment. The treatments for breast cancer include, chemotherapy and certain kinds of medications. These treatments are very hard on the human body and puts the person through vasts amounts of pain. Personally, breast cancer has affected my family. Since both my grandmother and aunt have had breast cancer, I know it puts me at a higher risk than other women. My grandmother died from the cancer and my aunt, who was recently diagnosed, is still fighting the disease.

Until a cure is found, breast cancer will continue to be a major concern of all women. Breast cancer can strike any woman, regardless of race, creed, or culture, and even if there is no family history. Almost every women knows of, or personally knows someone who has been affected by this type of cancer.

3 comments:

Anjelica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mistler said...

Breast Cancer is an important subject to me. I am a survivor for over seven years and on March 23 it will be eight years. It is not an old womens disease it hits women under twenty-one even. I was thirty-five when I was diagnosed and met patients 20, and 21 years old.

Early detection is the one step in beating this type of cancer. I fyou have any lumps do not wait, see the doctor, and ask for a mammogram. Many doctors do not recommend mammograms until thirty-five, however, I know my asking for a mammogram saved my life. Insurance companies should have women doing a screening mammogram at an earlier age, maybe thirty instead of thirty-five.

I was involved in a genetic study done at Baylor Hospital, Dallas if you would be interested I will get you the information.

Anonymous said...

I worry about having breast cancer. I have heard a lot about it but never knew anything about it. As a teenager I thought if I want to sleep without a bra I could get it. I also thought that if my bra with too tight or too loss I could have breast cancer. What I am trying to say is that not everyone is educated in the casuse and affect of breast cancer. I am learning more and more about the disease and how bad it really affects lifes.