Friday, February 2, 2007

How to Encourage Adolescents to Have Heathy Behaviors

In today's society healthy behaviors are not very common among adolescents. I believe there are ways that society as a whole can encourage teenagers to have healthy behaviors. Parents, health educators, and the media can influence they way adolescents treat their bodies. Healthy habits start in the home. If parents teach their children to incorporate healthier foods into their diet, they will be able to make better choices on their own. For example, my father grew up in a household where there were not many sweets, such as cakes, cookies, etc., so as a child he did not have them very often. Now as an adult, my father rarely eats sugary foods.

In school, physical activity should be allowed among all students. I know in high school after my sophomore year it was not required for students to take phys ed. So if schools encourage students to take up different sports or other types of activity, students can stay active. Maybe offering different types of exercise would help students become more involved in physical activity. Adding recreation like, intramural clubs or Pilate's during P.E., may be beneficial to students.

Ultimately, encouraging adolescents to follow healthy behaviors should be taken on by a team approach. It will take health care provider, educators, and parents to help them make the right choices when it comes to their health. Media influences are always going to surround adolescents and some of the images may be helpful or discouraging. I believe it will take a community effort to help adolescents with healthy behaviors.

4 comments:

Kari Lown said...

I loved your post, and completly agree with you. I am very passionate about the lack physical education in schools today. This is a hugh reason children are struggling with their health. When I was in school, and that was only a few years ago, the elementary and junior high students were reqired an hour of physical education a day - not an hour per week. It is appalling that they have reduced phys ed to such an extreme. I work in a day care and the after school kids say they only get to do p.e. twice a week because the other three days are devoted to TAKS. My question is what do they do the rest of the school day that they can not fit TAKS practice in other subjects? Is their health and development of fitness habits not important? Sorry to go off on a tangent like that, i just can not help it....:)

Anonymous said...

I think encouraging healthy behaviors in adolescents and even in younger children is extremely important. Childhood obesity is becoming a bigger cause for concern everyday. I remember a lot of people throwing a fuss about removing sodas and fatty foods from the vending machines at school, but I think it was a great idea. I also think it was ridiculous to lower the physical education requirements in school because some kids don't get the encouragement to eat right and exercise at home, so at least they can get it at school. The biggest challenge is tackling these health behaviors in the home because most children learn their habits from their parents. If they're not getting the proper encouragement in the home, it is extremely hard to change.

Mistler said...

I work in the school district everyday. I am the director for a before and afterschool daycare program and we see a lot of children that do not eat healthy. I see more children eat lunchables then anything else. I know parents are busy and they are convenient but lets give them a well balanced meal. Children need a well balanced meal so they can concentrate on their studies throughout the day.

Joyce Emengini said...

Anjelica.
Health knowledge and information could be better addressed to adolescents these days. The persons you mentioned to do this are very key individuals, parents, teachers, and the media. I think educators do their best when they are responsible for the students in school, but after that the parents are at rights. This is where the health issues usually show up, for example if a child is underweight or obese. I think it is important to show kids and adolescents pictures of persons who have strayed from the healthy diet and tell horror stories to make kids aware that health is important, it worked with me.