Monday, April 30, 2007

Blog 15: End of the Semester Reflections

This semester I have learned a lot about women's health issues. Two of the most significant topics to me that we covered were: assault and HIV/AIDS issues. The HIV/AIDS is a world wide women's issue that needs to be addressed by everyone. People are dying of from this epidemic with no resources for medical treatment. Learning about women all across the globe who suffer with this disease was one of the most touching topics because all women are at risk. It doesn't matter if you live in the United States or Africa. Becoming more aware of the impact HIV has on women is crucial.

Another issue that was very informing to me was about domestic violence and the different types of abuse that women are exposed to. In our society it has almost become the norm for us to hear on the news or other media channels about a women experiencing some type of abuse. From rape to domestic violence, women are subjected to a lot of violence. So now we have to take preventative measures to insure that we are safer. Trying to choose the correct partner is also a hard task nowadays.

Overall this class has provided me with a better insight on women's issues. As a women, this knowledge with come in handy because now I am aware of different health related issues that affect our gender the most. Cardiovascular disease, assault, and other issues that affect women can all be prevented if we apply the knowledge that we have learned in this class. I've enjoyed reading everyone's blogs and I hope everyone has a safe summer!

3 comments:

michelle whitehead said...

Taking care of ourselves is very important. I feel that this class should be taking by a lot of people. They will have a better view of the world and see what changes may need to be made in life. Because I know I am going to be more precautious in my life, especially when it comes to my health. I have to be more considerate of myself and my future.

Unknown said...

I am in the same state of mind as you and I am sure numerous other classmates of ours that this class is incredibly informative on such subjects as the sexual health issues. It would definitely be beneficial for all college students to take this course their freshmen year, but I know that that idea is not a possibility, so I just hold out the hope that people who took this class will share their knowlege with others and maybe enlighten some people to then share the knowledge further, so it spreads to more people practicing safty and realizing how precious and valuable their health truly is.

NutriMom--Health & Happiness said...

I agree with you that HIV and its impact globally was one of the most touching topics in this course. The fact that these disease continues to spread rampantly is a good reason to keep educating the public on this ailment. I was particularly struck by how ignorance can cause destruction when it comes to HIV; knowingly sharing needles during drug use is a common way of transmitting the virus yet people continue to practice this risky habit. Like you, I have truly emerged as an informed individual of women’s health and women issues globally.